February 7, 2015

Polish Pottery Trip to Boleslawiec


1/23/15
Day 1:
The day started out with all the ladies getting together and driving, in the snow, to Boleslawiec, Poland.  I can't believe I have lived in Europe for a year already and hadn't gotten to the Polish pottery places yet!  I originally wanted to go just to tick that off my "to do" list.  I didn't thin I really had a deep burning love for this pottery.  My heart was more drawn to Nove Italy's ceramics instead, but since I am here and so close, I knew I needed to go.  So off we went!

Since we were driving through Dresden, Germany, we of course needed to stop for lunch.  We went to a German place that had good ratings called Brauhaus am Waldschlösschen.  I couldn't help it, I just had to have the schweinshaxe, or pork knuckle...it is crispy and savory and just delicious!

Winter in Dresden, Germany
Schweinshaxe at Brauhaus am Waldschlosschen!
After getting all fueled up with yummy food, we continued on to Boleslawiec.  I had done a lot of research on Boleslawiec and which stores were the best, which hotels were reasonable but comfortable, and what else there was to see while we were there.

One hotel I heard about over and over was The Blue Beetroot.  With so many recommendations, I just knew I needed to get reservations quickly.  When we finally got to the Blue Beetroot, it was later than we were expecting.  Driving in the snowy road conditions had slowed us down a bit, so instead of taking four hours, the trip had taken seven.  Immediately the hotel was inviting though and we were all excited to get inside.  The Blue Beetroot is an 18th century barn, that has been restored to its formal glory with its chunky wood beams, traditional vaulted ceilings and handmade furniture. There is a little story that explains how the hotel got it's name.  Here it is, directly from the website:

Hotel legend has it that in Poland around 1791 the fields of Lower Silesia near Boleslawiec were all planted with beetroots. One of the most popular uses for the beetroot was moonshine! The alcohol was secretly brewed in the cellars of the barn (today it only contains fire wood to keep our Boutique B&B hotel guests extra warm).

Only a few locals knew that the cart of beetroots coming from the barn hid a secret stash of moonshine below. The story goes that one winter as the farmer left the yard the horses bolted and slipped badly on the icy road. The whole lot, farmer, cart, horses, moonshine and the beetroots fell into the pond. Despite dredging, everything mysteriously disappeared without a trace...

The story passed down by locals for generations says even now a single blue beetroot will occasionally float to the surface of the pond, it is a strange blue colour and of course it is completely impregnated with alcohol!
Such a quaint little cottage!
I just loved this place!
Walking into the hotel and walking towards the reception desk
The main area of our room with beds, couches, and a kitchen table
It was so inviting!
The master bedroom with an amazing bathroom attached!
Kate, Sabrina, and Jessica discussing going downstairs to get dinner
After we got a little settled, we went downstairs, bought a couple bottles of wine and went back to our room to drink and talk before dinner.  After we were warm and fuzzy, we went down for a delicious Polish dinner.

The bar was handmade and very cool
Even the tap had character
Love the Blue Beetroot
The restaurant during the day
Our breakfast set up in the morning!
1/24/15
Day 2:
After a great night eating, drinking, watching movies, we were well rested and ready to shop!  We decided not to care about which were the best places and went to all of them!  I have to say, I am a pottery convert!  I originally thought I would just get gifts for family members but heck no!  It's actually quite lovely and super durable as cook ware and it's not as expensive in Poland so I can indulge to my hearts content!

Almost more pottery than I can handle!
Just look at all the possibilities...
Pottery....pottery...pottery....

I purchased a step stool for a friend that couldn't make it
I also got a tea pot for another friend
What the what?!?!

...and this had to happen!
...as did this!
Just driving around was an adventure and beautiful!
We stopped for nourishment at a cute Polish place too
Sabrina, Jessica, and Kate getting geared up for more shopping after lunch!
So after a full day of shopping, we stopped at a local grocery store and got snacks, wine, and lot's of candy for Captain Jack (since he loves candy more than I love shopping).  We went back to the hotel and snuggled in for more drinks, dinner, and movies.  It was the perfect ending to a perfect day.

1/25/15
Day 3:
On day 3, we slept in and then devised a plan to get our suitcases and all our pottery into my little Prius!  All in all, it was a very productive trip and along with the perfection that is the Blue Beetroot and the wonderful company, this is a trip I can not wait to do again!

The things I got while in Poland!
The step stool for my friend Amanda
My baking dishes
The vase for my Mama Starr
The baking dish for my Mama Fortune
Little creamer for my Mama Starr
The teapot for my friend Christine
Baking dish for my friend Dani







No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy this blog and find it helpful to your own future travels. I also welcome those that just like to live vicariously through my wanderlust.

I encourage comments that will add to everyone's enjoyment and knowledge.