October 8, 2014

Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany


8/28/14
We decided to go with a bunch of our friends to our first Oktoberfest in Germany, so we purchased our tickets for a table in one of the many tents in Munich months in advance thanks to the lovely, Orienna!  After staying the night at Cary and Orienna's, and having an amazing bacon and sweet potato breakfast bake, we headed to the Vilseck train station.  At the train station, there was Cary & Orienna, Orienna's cousin, Ralf (I may have misspelled his name), Cary's friend (that I can't remember his name right now), Sandy & Jake, Pete & Marta, Marta's sister, Ruth, Jayde, Elaine & Tony, Mike & me.  We were meeting up with more people once we got to Munich.


It was a little cold at the train station but we knew it was going to get beautiful so we didn't worry too much.
Jack walking to the train stop
Orienna on the train
Jake & Sandy
I think Pete spotted me taking pictures of them!
Pete, Marta, Ruth, and Jayde on the train
We rode to Nuremberg and then took another train the rest of the way to Munich.  We kind of took naps on the second train since we had gotten to the train by 7:45a.m. and we were all a bit tired.

When we finally got to Munich, we made our way through the craziness of the crowds to our Oktoberfest tent.

The crowds during Oktoberfest
View of the magnitude of this fest
One of the rides
Another view of the swing ride
Our group working their way to our tent

Part of the parades
Dancers in the parade
People waiting to buy merchandise during the fest
People wore some crazy things!
We finally made it to our tent and were shown upstairs to our tables.  The tables were set with delicious appetizers that we assumed were part of what we paid for...not so lucky, but it was too good not to purchase!  Sneaky Germans!

The view of the crowds below us from our balcony seats
Our tent was huge and there were hundreds of people in there
Pete, Marta, & Ruth welcoming more of our group
Paying for our appetizers and starting on the beer

Now THAT is a beer!
We got to the tent around 11:30 I think and we had our tables for four hours.  By the first "Mass" beer I was already feeling it but we kept eating, drinking, and talking.  There were lots of trips down stairs to use the bathrooms which was an adventure all on it's own.  It was getting pretty rowdy down below and it was actually a lot of fun to be in that atmosphere of laughter and fun!

The waitresses can carry an impressive amount of beer all at once!
Me & my cutie patootie!
Getting more beer!
Prost!


Marta & Ruth in their cute Oktoberfest hats!
After a bit, our chicken came.  We each got half a chicken in the purchase of our tent tickets.  I was thinking...it might be boring?  I was WAY wrong!  It was the best chicken I've ever had!  :)  Could be the beer talking but I don't think so!


After we were done eating, we walked around a bit more and then went outside to where some of our group was and had wine!
Downstairs in our tent where all the dancing and singing was going on
Outside the tent
Pretzel sellers everywhere!
Once our tent time was done, we went and rode a couple rides and then Mike, Ralf, and I headed back since Mike and most of the guys had to work the next day.

People "taking a break" outside the tents at Oktoberfest
It was a great experience but very expensive.  I know Jack would like to go to a smaller venue next year but I might have to try Munich again before we leave Germany!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoy this blog and find it helpful to your own future travels. I also welcome those that just like to live vicariously through my wanderlust.

I encourage comments that will add to everyone's enjoyment and knowledge.